Story Slam brings storytellers and artists into the classroom to inspire a love of oral storytelling, and to build confidence in creative writing and public speaking.
What is Story Slam?
- Aimed at Years 5-6
- A six-week literacy intervention, in your school
- Story Slam builds confidence, literacy, performance, oracy and public speaking skills
- Weekly sessions led by a Discover Story Builder
- A visit by professional storyteller who will deliver a workshop and may be able to perform to the wider school
- CPD for teachers
- A school assembly for pupils to showcase work to their peers and practise storytelling with an audience
- End of project Story Slam event in prestigious cultural venue
- Contribution is £450+VAT per class
Through a series of workshops based on oral storytelling and story making, pupils will explore and develop techniques in public-speaking, creative writing and performance; designed to increase children’s creativity and confidence with language.
The sessions will be delivered weekly by one of Discover’s Story Builders and will include a visit from an external artist who will deliver a workshop and perform for the wider school. The project culminates with participation in a live story slam at a prestigious cultural venue and will be judged by a panel of industry experts, including a professional artist.
Story Slam is funded by the Sir John Cass’s Foundation.
““100% [change in the pupil’s confidence], all but two children performed. Great confidence building for children.” ” Story Slam Teacher