Cafe Supervisor – Part Time
Application closing on Sun 19 Jun 12am
Discover Children’s Story Centre is a venue which incorporates literature, immersive play and storytelling through hands-on and exploratory means for children ages 0-11 years, their families, carers and teachers. Discover is a registered charity; all proceeds go directly into delivering high quality innovative work. On a standard week we expect over 1800 visitors to the centre.
The Supervisor is a key member of the Operations Team. The candidate will primarily supervise the Front of House and work on the floor, including the reception and café.
Each Supervisor at Discover has a primary focus, and this role would focus on the smooth running of the Café and its offer. The supervisor with the Head of Operations will develop the menu of the café and take responsibility for ordering to ensure we provide a high standard of food and drink to our customers.
The Head of Operations will oversee the café strategy, performance monitoring and appraisals.
The role reports to the Duty Manager on a day-to-day basis.
Operational responsibility for: Visitor Services Assistants and Story Builders.
Main Purpose of Position
- Deliver a smooth operation of the café services through developing and implementing procedures with the support of the Head of Operations.
- Develop the offer to ensure it appeals to our customers, whilst ensuring the profitability of the café.
- Train staff in food preparation where necessary.
- Ensure the food and beverage products are served to a consistent standard of excellence.
- Promote excellent and consistent customer service is delivered by the team.
- Supervise stock controls in the café.
- Be responsible for compliance with the Food Hygiene Standards and Policy.
- Work closely with other departments to ensure customers’ experiences throughout the building are at a high standard.
Service and Product Range
- Continuously develop the product range and special offers to suit different seasonal trends, programmes, and our customer’s needs.
- Ensure all products are cost effective and of a high quality.
- Ensure the product range, display areas, and counters are presented to a high visual standard, and meet high cleaning standards.
- Supervise food preparation to ensure it is ready for service.
Administration and Finance
- Coordinate the ordering, deliveries and storage of café stock.
- Ensure regular stock takes are completed.
- Be responsible for training staff in cashing up procedures, resolving and reporting any anomalies.
- Complete daily cashing up
- As part of the Supervisor Team, maintain the Visitor Services team rota, including co-ordination of staff availability.
- Assist the Head of Operations with the management, recruitment, training and motivating of visitor services staff.
- Induct new staff, to deliver at consistent performance levels.
- Monitor all aspects of operational staff performance, and identify and deliver training needs as necessary.
- Ensure all staff maintain food hygiene level 2 certification using online courses.
Health and Safety
- Implement and maintain Food Hygiene Policy and cleaning standards.
- Ensure staff are trained accordingly in cleaning and hygiene policies.
- Work within safe and hygienic parameters at all times, carrying out all relevant routine duties consistently (e.g., temperature checks, prevention of cross-contamination, appropriate work wear).
- Contribute to the Health and Safety standards across the organisation, minimising any risk to the public and staff.
- Assist the evacuation of the building in the event of an emergency.
- Undertake any other duties which may be reasonably requested by the Head of Operations.
- Maintaining standards of front-of-house presentation by monitoring presentation of staff and public areas, taking appropriate action and reporting faults to the Operations team.
- Comply with Discover’s policies including Health and Safety, Equality and Diversity, Safeguarding, Environmental, and Customer Care.
- Attend and feedback to team and company meetings when appropriate.
- Manage the daily operation of the Discover Cafe, including external events or contractors working on site to ensure a high level of customer service and experience is always delivered.
- Experience of a catering or café environment
- Experience of supervising staff.
- Experience in a front-line customer service environment.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of Food Hygiene and Health and Safety Issues.
- Experience in financial transactions, reconciliations and cash handling.
- Demonstrated experience in managing budgets.
- Flexible and adaptable, with an ability to be proactive and demonstrate initiative.
- Excellent IT skills.
- Proven organisational ability.
- An effective communicator, both written and verbal.
- Availability to work two weekends in four.
- Have held a Level 2 food Hygiene Certificate
- Catering training
- Demonstrated café supervision and food preparation.
- Proven experience in a museum/gallery, arts venue or visitor attraction.
- Experience working with children or in a family focussed environment.
- Personal License, Food Hygiene, First Aid qualifications.
- Part time contract, three days a week on a rota with a three-month probationary period.
- 24hrs per week on a rota basis
- Including 1-hour unpaid lunch break
- To include regular weekend work
- Pro Rata of £25,922
- Equivalent to £15,553 per annum